Home Bug Bounty Setup (planning)
Instead of going to a VPS, I am planning to create my own personal server, which I will host on Internet.
After watching many “Home Server” videos below are the parameters to think of. I do not know what exactly is my expectation and what will be the best setup, I am just starting with something.
- What will happen if the power goes off? UPS backup.
- What will happen if you want to scale your setup? Server rack vs Blade Server
- Normal Internet vs Dedicated Lease line? Reliability
- Security? The server will be public exposed
- Static vs Dynamic IP?
- Backup, RAID, NAS setup? I will definitely need this.
Blade servers and Rack servers
I would recommend any one to research “Bit coin mining setup”. This will give you an idea of stability.
I would want my setup to be scalable,
- CPU scalable
- GPU scalable
- Hard Disk scalable
- Backup of all data.
These expectations are not practical. As all these are possible in a Blade server setup, which is very very costly.
- And I don’t want to create a mining setup due to many reasons like want setup to be organized, portable as it will be in my home.
- So I will be going with creating a non-scalable, independent CPU, I will scale hard disk organized in rack. The rack will be just for organizing and not for scaling.
- GPU currently is not a concern, I will only use it to play games.
- 1 rack-mounted UPS for each server. And configuration will be normal shutdown in case power goes off.
- Normal Internet, as it will be cost effective and my expectation are not that strict.
- SSD (Up to 2TB) for running applications / VM.
- Using unraid HDD setup to have backup and redundancy of data. I will not prefer NAS, as it will add extra on my budget, as unraid will perform NAS function.
- Install a high-end CPU (not more than 16 core) to future proof.
- Ensure that all Ethernet ports are 10Gb ports, including switch, etc so that there is not bottleneck in internet speed.
- I have not planned for static IP or VPN or any security. If I want everything to be anonymous, I will be definitely using a VPN + Added security. If I want everything to be transparent, then there will be a different setup for that.
- High end graphic card, in case I require to crack hash.
Cost Estimates (INR)
I would need 6,00,000 Rs (~8,000$)
- 1,00,000 = graphics card
- 50,0000= Motherboard
- 78,000 = AMD 5960X CPU
- 1,00,000 = AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT GPU
- 40,000 = 2TB NVME SSD PCIE gen 4
- 55,000 = HDD4x4 NAS with 72000 RPM (ignore TB/year for now)
- 26,000 = Simple rack (medium 600x700)
- 40,000 = Rack mount server chassis
- 11,000 = Liquid Cooling
- 11,000 = Power supply 850 W
- 35,000 = Rack mount UPS
- Yearly cost of hosting and Internet connection